Commercial Driver Licenses ("CDL") are required to operate vehicles that:
- Weight over 26,000 pounds (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)*
- Require hazardous material placards
*For more detailed information regarding CDL requirements, please refer to the Wisconsin Commercial Driver's Manual which may be obtained from the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles at its website - www.wisconsindmv.gov.
Custom CDL Testing is a third-party CDL testing site for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. A CDL test administered by Custom CDL applies the same standards as those administered by the state at one of its testing sites.
New commercial drivers must get a Commercial Learner Permit ("CLP") to practice driving a commercial motor vehicle ("CMV") to prepare for the CDL skills test. To obtain the permit you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Hold a valid driver license; and
- Pass the knowledge tests for the type of vehicle you will be driving.